CHANGE TODAY FOR A HEALTHIER FUTURE
Diabetes Prevention Program
Did you know?
- About 86 million American adults have prediabetes, a condition where blood glucose levels are higher than normal.
- Half of all Americans age 65 or older have prediabetes and are at risk for developing type 2 diabetes.
- People with prediabetes are likely to develop type 2 diabetes within 10 years, unless they take action to prevent or delay the disease.
- Diabetes is a leading cause of heart disease, stroke, blindness, kidney disease and nerve disease.
The good news...
You can reduce your risk for type 2 diabetes and gain tools for healthy living.
If you are at risk for type 2 diabetes, the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program provides a supportive environment where you can work with others in a small group setting to learn how to adopt healthy habits to reduce your chances of developing the disease.
Frequently Asked Questions
Diabetes Prevention Program - For Those At Risk For Diabetes
- Available at all YMCA of Central Ohio Branches.
- An evidenced based 12 month program that provides a supportive environment beginning with 16 weekly sessions followed by monthly sessions led by a trained Lifestyle Coach.
- Participants who are at risk for diabetes learn tools to adopt and maintain healthy habits in order to prevent or delay the onset of Type 2 Diabetes, and improve their overall health and well-being.
- Participants learn about healthy eating and increasing their physical activity, with the goal of reducing their body weight by 7% and increasing their physical activity to 150 minutes per week.
- 4 month YMCA membership provided to those enrolled in the program, beginning at week 2.
- Offered at all YMCA of Central Ohio locations
- Participants must be at least 18 years old
- Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) at or above 25
- Hemogloban A1c level between 5.7-6.4%, or
- Fasting Plasma Glucose between 100-125 mg/dL, or a
- 2-hour (75 gm glucola) Plasma Glucose between 140-199 mg/dL.
- Private Pay is also available
How Does A Person Enroll Into The YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program?
Contact the Chronic Disease Coordinator at your branch.
There is no cost for the program for fully insured United Health Care Members who qualify. People with health insurance provided by United Health Care should check with their employer about the availability of this program as a covered benefit, or contact the Diabetes Prevention and Control Alliance to enroll or confirm eligibility at 1-800-237-4942.
Payment Options Available
How Do I Find Out More Information At The YMCA Of Central Ohio?
614 384 2281
614 389 3890
Locations of Program
Pre-RegistrationPlease complete the pre-registration form below to start the enrollment process in the program. Once you complete this form a Diabetes Program Specialist will contact you to confirm your registration and location.
If you are interested in enrolling into the program you must go to ohioymcadiabetesprevention.org to register.