#HealthyHabits December: Be Happy!
They say a habit takes 21 days to make and only 3 days to break. We believe that healthy habits can help to create an overall lifestyle that can aid in a long and happy life. We aren't talking about momentous tasks, but simple things you can do to be the healthiest version of yourself. Each month, we will offer a different healthy habit for you to challenge yourself to stick with.
Decembers Healthy Habit: Be Happy!
Okay, okay we know what you're thinking: that's much easier said than done. Happiness is hard grasp because its not one size fits all- what makes one person happy may not be another persons cup of tea. Happiness is also not a tangle item, or really an action, it's a state of mind and the notion of 'just be happy' can seem a little too simple of a concept in such a complicated world.
Your next question may be, what does being happy have to do with being healthy? Experts say, a lot! According to Harvard Medical School, happiness is linked to your overall physical health. "Positive emotions have been linked with better health, longer life, and greater well-being in numerous scientific studies. On the other hand, chronic anger, worry, and hostility increase the risk of developing heart disease, as people react to these feelings with raised blood pressure and stiffening of blood vessels."
We're sure your final question is, okay, so how do I make happiness happen? While happiness is a very subject word, below are some tips to find your happiness.
- Nurture the positive relationships you have, and seek out more of those relationships that help uplift you.
- Serve others.
- Don't forget to serve yourself too. Don't put yourself last. If you do, you can't be the best you for everyone else.
- Treat everyone with kindness.
- Nurture you spirit.
- Learn to say no. Don't overbook yourself or overwhelm yourself with your obligations. It is okay to say no, especially when it's for your own well-being.
- Pay attention to your reaction of negative things. You cannot help what negative may happen to you, but you can control what you do with it.
- Strive to always learn new things.
- Find time to do what makes you happy.
- Improve breathing, relaxation and centeredness with Yoga, Tai-Chi or meditation.
- Connect with nature. Observe the natural beauty that surrounds you and feel a sense of connection in the world.