Home > Y Policy Guide
CODE OF CONDUCT
- Y members should represent our Core Values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.
- All persons using the facility or grounds are expected to follow all YMCA policies and procedures and to conduct themselves appropriately. Physical or verbal abuse, sexual innuendo or display, or offensive behavior of any kind is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.
- YMCA staff have the right to determine if any conduct or language is inconsistent with the YMCA’s mission and to act accordingly.
- It is illegal to carry a firearm, deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance anywhere on YMCA property.
- The YMCA is a smoke, vape, drug and alcohol-free facility. This also includes its grounds. The possession or sale of any drugs or drug paraphernalia will lead to prosecution to the fullest extent of the law.
- Persons responsible for any loss of or damage to YMCA property or that of its members, volunteers or staff will be held personally and financially liable.
- Specific policies are posted in all areas of the Y branches.
- Programs and schedules are subject to change.
The protection of members, volunteers and guests who are participating in programs or are using YMCA facilities is of paramount concern to the Board and Staff of the YMCA of Central Ohio.
The YMCA regularly reviews sex offender registries and denies access and/or membership to any person the YMCA learns is a registered sex offender.
Members and Program Participants must present their YMCA membership or participant card at the Welcome Center each time they visit the Y.
- No refunds given on join fees or annual memberships.
- Membership cancellation requests must be submitted in writing to the Welcome Center 30 days prior to your ensuing draft. This means you will be drafted once more and will have access to the Y facilities for those 30 more days.
- The best discount or reduced membership rate prevails and cannot be combined with other discounts.
CHILD/YOUTH AGE REQUIREMENTS
Children ages 91 and younger must be actively supervised at all times by a parent/guardian or
responsible adult (18 years or older), unless participating in a staff-supervised program. When children are participating in a program, a parent/guardian or responsible adult (18 years or older) must remain on the premises unless otherwise noted.
Children ages 10-111 are permitted to be at the Y as long as a parent/guardian or responsible adult remains on the premises.
Youth ages 12-151 are permitted to be at the Y for up to three hours without adult supervision.
Children ages 5 and under must be accompanied by an adult/guardian (age 18 or older) in the water and remain within arms reach.
Children ages 6 to 9 must have an adult actively supervising them in the pool area.
Children ages 10-111 are permitted to be in the pool area as long as a parent/guardian remains on the premises.
Youth ages 9–11 may utilize cardio equipment in the Wellness Center with active adult supervision, only if they have completed the Youth Conditioning class.
Youth/Teens ages 12–152 may use both cardio and strength equipment in the Wellness Center with active adult supervision.
Youth/Teens ages 12–153 may use both cardio and strength equipment in the Wellness Center without adult supervision, only if they have completed Iron Teens class.
1Must be 16 years old at the Downtown YMCA
2North YMCA excludes the use of free weights for Youth/Teens.
3Age 16+ at Vaughn E. Hairston YMCA
CHILD WATCH & KIDS TIME
- Child Watch is available for children ages 6 weeks to 5/6 years. Check with your branch for specific ages.
- Kids Time is available for children ages 5/6 to 11. Check with your branch for specific ages.
- Branch supervisors reserve the right to determine equipment competency and limitations at any time to ensure the safety of participants and members.
- Sign-ups and 30-minute limit may be required for cardio equipment.
- Please return weights and dumbbells to storage racks when done.
- Please wear proper gym, swim and workout attire. The YMCA reserves the right to determine the appropriateness of all attire.
- Street shoes are not permitted on the gym floor, pool deck, court surfaces or fitness equipment.
Based on the recommendations of the National YMCA of the USA, and because personal training services are offered by the YMCA, only YMCA of Central Ohio certified personal training staff members will be allowed to utilize YMCA facilities for personal training services.
- Clothing and other personal belongings not in use shall be stored in the lockers provided by the Y.
- Do not leave locks on daily-use lockers.
- Please store your personal belongings in a locked locker (bring your own lock). The YMCA is not responsible for any items stolen in the facility or from the grounds.
- Children over age 5 must use gender-appropriate locker rooms. The Y offers family changing rooms for those with disabilities, as well as for children who are old enough to use the gender-appropriate locker rooms, but still need assistance.
Cell phone, camera or video camera use is strictly forbidden in the locker rooms and rest rooms.
The Y may take pictures and videos of various activities for promotional use. Please let us know if you do not wish to be included in these medias.
CLASSES & PROGRAMS
- Any class without a minimum number of participants may be subject to cancellation. Classes cancelled by the Y will be made up or credits will be issued.
- Credits must be submitted to and approved by a Program Director.
- Refunds will only be given with a doctor’s written notice and approval of a Program Director.
- Any other class missed by a participant cannot be made up. Schedules are subject to change.
Nationwide Membership reciprocity enables you to visit any participating YMCA in the United States, outside of the YMCA of Central Ohio area. Must show valid ID and use home branch at least 50% of the time. Check with the YMCA you are visiting for more information.
• Please enter and exit the pool area through the locker rooms only.
• Non-swimmers of any age are not permitted in the deep end of the pool.
• Children/youth who need assistance or a flotation device must have an adult in the water with them and will not be permitted in the pool’s deep end.
• To ensure our members’ safety, all youth ages 15 and under are required to take a swim test if they wish to swim in the deep end of our swimming pools. Check with your branch to learn more.
• Y lifeguards reserve the right to test swimming competency of any participant at any time if their ability to safely utilize the deep end of the pool is in question.
• Any class without a minimum of 4 participants may be subject to cancellation. Pool schedule is subject to change.
• Please see additional rules in pool and hot tub area prior to using the aquatic areas of the facility.
• To ensure the safety of our members and guests, it is the policy of the YMCA of Central Ohio to close outdoor pools due to thunder and/or lightning; pools will reopen 30 minutes after the last trace of thunder and/or lightning.
- Members of the Y may bring a guest. Please inquire at your branch’s Welcome Center to learn more.
- Each membership includes 5 free guest passes per year.
- Guests restrictions and schedules may apply.
- Guests must be accompanied by the member.
- Guest passes are valid for one day only.
- Only members age 18 and older may bring a guest to the Y.
- Guests over age 16 are required to present a current photo ID.
- Guests under age 18 must be accompanied by an adult member.
Your privacy is important to us, therefore we will not sell, rent or give your name and address to anyone for any reason outside of the Y.
The YMCA of Central Ohio typically communicates the following information via email, phone call and/or text:
- Exclusive offers, new programs or classes and special events
- Member Satisfaction Surveys
- Account issues