If he or she will be entering the grade listed under each camp in the upcoming school year, then they are good to go!
Fun in the Sun! Campers will be outside 90% of the day with weather permitting.
Most campers bring a backpack or bag to camp that contains the following items:
- Closed-toe shoes that attach to the foot (please no sandals or shoes with heels)
- Water bottle(s)
- Change of clothes
- Rain poncho
- Healthy lunch, extra snacks & drinks (no sugary drinks or soda permitted at camp)
- Campers should wear OLD CLOTHES to camp with the camper’s full name clearly marked on every item brought to camp
Below is a calendar showing the camp weeks and the automatic draft dates. Cancellations must be 14 days prior to beginning of the week.
|First Date of Camp Week||Week #||Draft Date|
Yes. Scholarships or financial assistance is available for summer camp. To request an application, contact your local YMCA Branch or download one from our website at http://ymcacolumbus.org/join/financial-assistance. Requests should be made no later than May 1st. Funding may be limited so it is to your advantage to apply early.
Yes, for most programs. The YMCA accepts publicly funded childcare (PFCC) subsidy payments from ODJFS if applicable. Please note that not all camp programs are eligible for PFCC funding. Weekly co-payments must be paid prior to each week. In addition to co-pays, it is the responsibility of a parent/guardian to be consistent with checking in/out of the ODJFS TAP system. Failure to comply with these state mandated requirements may result in removal from the program.
Tuition fees are eligible for child care tax credit. Our federal child care tax ID # is 31-4379495 and a year-end tax statement is available upon request.
The YMCA of Central Ohio is a licensed camper care facility while the Day Camp programs are accredited programs through the American Camp Association (ACA). All YMCA of Central Ohio Camps are registered with the State of Ohio Department of Jobs & Family Services. For more information or to file a complaint please contact Job & Family Services at (614) 466-7765.
Day Camps are accredited by the American Camp Association. This independent body establishes standards for key aspects of camp operation, program quality, health and safety of campers. ACA accreditation includes an on-site visit every three years. For more information on accreditation or ACA, please go to ACAcamps.org.
Accredited Camps Include:
- Delaware: Mingo Park
- Eldon & Elsie Ward Family YMCA
- Gahanna/John E. Bickley YMCA
- Gahanna: Woodside Green Park
- Grove City YMCA
- Hilliard/Ray Patch Family YMCA
- Hilliard Presbyterian Church
- Hilliard: Alton Darby Elementary
- Hilltop YMCA
- Jerry L. Garver YMCA
- Garver: Sycamore Creek Park
- Liberty Twp/Powell YMCA
- Liberty Park
- North YMCA
- Vaughn E. Hairston YMCA
- Campers are responsible for their own belongings including backpacks, library books, clothing, and other personal items. We discourage campers from bringing their own electronic devices, phones, other special toys, game cards, books, money or sports equipment (unless specified for camp). If these items are brought, the YMCA staff may collect them and will return them when the child is picked up at the end of the day. The YMCA is not responsible for lost items.
DANGEROUS ITEMS & CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES NOT ALLOWED AT CAMP
- Controlled Substances: Illegal Drugs, controlled substances and alcohol are not permitted on the property where a YMCA program is operated or visits
- Tobacco-Free YMCA camp and facilities; no tobacco products permitted. Family cooperation is necessary to protect our “outdoor classroom” too for everyone to enjoy. Thank you for keeping YMCA Day Camp space and buildings tobacco free.
- Pets: Pets or other animals are not allowed and are not to be brought to YMCA programs.
- Weapons: No children, staff parents or visitors are not permitted to bring or possess weapons (including firearms and pocket knives)
- Matches, lighters and firecrackers are not permitted.
- Soda, sugary or any carbonated drinks are NOT permitted
Some of our sites do Friday cookouts. If your site does, a packed lunch is not needed on that day unless there is a dietary concern. Each camper will be asked to bring a healthy item for the cookout to share with the group. Plan on sending enough of the below items for 10 campers. Please check your weekly newsletter for this information as instructions may change each week. Parents are cordially invited to join the camp for the cookout. If there are special diet requirements for your camper, please let us know and plan to pack a lunch for Fridays.
- turkey hot dogs
- wheat hot dog buns
- healthy beverage (no pop please)
- baked chips or pretzels
- ketchup and mustard
If you are sending a dish that requires serving utensils, please provide those as well. If you have questions, please ask your camp staff.
Camp registration requires a deposit per week, per camper to reserve a slot for a week of camp. Standard deposit fees are $25/week for camp and an additional $5/week for both before and after care, if applicable. Deposit fees go apply toward the total of weekly camp fee.
Yes. All camp programs have a lower registration fee based on active membership status. Additionally, campers must be on a family YMCA membership to qualify for a multi-child discount.
Yes. For 2 or more children attending the same week of camp, the additional child fee applies to the lower of the camp fee registrations. Multi-child discounts only apply to those connected with a family YMCA membership. Please reach out to your camp registrar to verify appropriate discount.
No. Day campers may register for as many or as few weeks during the summer.
No. Camp fees and staff ratios are set for a full week of camp programming. Though attendance is not required for a full week, registration fees reflect for Monday-Friday (excluding holiday weeks).
Daily activity plans vary from camp to camp depending on themes, swim schedule, trips, and other location-specific details. However, an example of a common day will have the structure as follows:
- Camper choice activity during check-in
- Opening Circle (camp communication, large group game/activity)
- Small Group theme activity rotation. 2-4 Stations based on the selected theme for the week
- Camper choice activities after lunch clean-up
Lunch Afternoon (12:30-3:30pm)
- Small Group enrichment activity rotation. 2-4 stations including summer reading program, arts/dance, yoga, outdoor education
- Camper choice activities
- Closing Circle & reflections for the day
We understand that summer camp plans change from time to time. Please visit http://ymcacolumbus.org/campchange to communicate your request for removal from previously registered camp weeks. Your request will be processed in 2-3 business days based on the following timeline:
Prior to May 1: Full refund of Deposit and Registration Fees
14+ days prior to first day of camp week: Refund of camp fees less deposit
Less than 14 days prior to first day of camp week: No refund of deposit or fees
Camp Cancellation Form
Camp Cancellation Form