Have a question? Send us an email!
Van Buren Shelter
We protect basic human rights and meet human needs by providing safe shelter. We instill hope and provide support to our guests for their long term success through empowerment, community engagement and teamwork.
The Community Shelter Board purchased the west side facility to serve a growing homeless population, and had the vision to essentially run 3 separate programs under one roof- one for single men, one for single women, and one for families. This would be made possible by several partners working together to staff and facilitate these programs. Van Buren contains a front door shelter separated by gender for those experiencing homelessness for the first time that only need a short stay or minimal services. In addition, the facility contains flex space for up to 244 overflow beds for men and women to assure the system has flexible bed capacity at all times. This eliminates waitlists as well as the need to site a winter overflow shelter each year.
Housing & Employment Assistance:
- YMCA Guest Aides help with basic services such as job website navigation, getting identification, and basic health and wellness services
- YMCA Service Coordinators identify needs and assist guests in getting those needs met, as well as linking them to a navigator when ready
- Navigators from our partner Access Ohio provide intensive services focused on ending the homeless crisis quickly and stabilizing the person in housing.
Other Services Offered:
- Southeast, Inc. will operate a federally qualified health center for medical and behavioral health services.
- Freedom a la Cart offers meal services within the shelter. Currently, breakfast & dinner is provided to all single women residents with expansion to include 3 meals a day.
A workplace development program for women experiencing homelessness that will help them gain valuable skills around preparation and food packaging.
Give Her Hope
The YMCA of Central Ohio, in partnership with dedicated community volunteers, is committed to reuniting women experiencing homelessness with their families for the holiday season. Your help can be the difference between sleeping in a shelter or going home to a loving family environment. With your support, we can drastically change the holidays for 200 families. With your support, we will help 200 women rebuild their lives.
Our movement is made up of people of all ages and from every walk of life, all working side-by-side to ensure that everyone, regardless of gender, income or background, has the opportunity to live life to its fullest.
Volunteers are key to the success of the YMCA. Our staff depends on the talent and the extra hands that make everything we do a little extra special.